Sunday, April 30, 2017

Sacramento Trip

I was in Sacramento this past week for a work conference. This was a long trip because I had to purchase my tickets before I found out when I would be presenting so I had to plan for the possibility of any of the conference days. Sacramento was pretty nice. The weather was sunny and stayed in the 70s the whole time. It was way more humid than what I was used to in Pocatello though. I ended up just staying in my hotel most of the time, but I did get out for a couple of walks.

This was the grounds for the Capital building. I forgot that Sacramento was the capital of California. Given that California is the biggest state in terms of population, I was surprised at how small Sacrament and the grounds for the Capital building actually seemed. The grounds were really interesting. They had tons of gigantic old trees and they were form all over the world. I was surprised at the variety that they were able to grow there, without a greenhouse or anything like that.

You can't tell in this picture, but those trees were so big I don't think my whole family holding hands would reach even half way around them.









Here is the view from my hotel room. I was on the 14th floor. I think one of the reasons Sacramento seems smaller is because they have so many trees. When you look out all you see is trees because they line the sidewalks with these really tall ones that reach up over most of the buildings. They say that they have more trees per capita than any other city in the world.


For exercise I tried to take the stairs up and down from my room on the 14th floor when I went out.


One time I went all the way up to the roof (27 floors), but there was a sign that said they would prosecute if you went on the roof without permission.



The city didn't really have many touristy things so most of the time I was just in my hotel catching up on work. When I did go for a walk a couple times I saw a lot of cool old churches. But they didn't seem like they were tourist churches where I could walk in and check them out like in other countries with cool churches.






I also did see the Chinatown, but it didn't seem like there was much there at all. And I walked to the Governor's mansion. It is an old house where the governors used to live up through Ronald Reagan. A new house was built after that, but the most recent governor decided to move back in to it, so it was no longer open for tours. When Arnold was the governor he just flew in and out on his private jet for his daily commute.

No comments: