Sunday, January 31, 2016

Spiderwick Chronicles

I am a few weeks late on this post, but we got the Spiderwick Chronicles books for Christmas. It was a few days before things settled down after Christmas before we started them, but once we did the children really got into them. Rebecca and I really liked them too. Each book is pretty short and only took us maybe 2-3 hours to read to the children. They each build off each other to make one giant story, but I think they could be read independently too. We ended up reading one or two a day and finished them in just under a week. Overall, I liked the books because they were short and kept the kids attention easily, they encouraged the children to imagine and make believe about cool little creatures and fairies that might be all around them, I could imagine how excited I would be if I was in the main character's situation and I discovered the things he discovered, and although the siblings in the book disagreed with each other and bothered each other some, they worked together throughout the books and it showed how much they really cared for each other.

Spiderwick chronicle book.jpg

When we were all done Caleb let us borrow the movie to watch. I like it when the kids can watch a movie after reading the books. It often gives them something to look forward to and get excited about while reading and it seems like they have fun comparing their imagination to what is in the movie. Also, it seems like it makes the movies a little less scary for them because they know what the end is going to be like. I thought the movie was pretty good. It covered all of the books in one, so they had to leave a lot out and change a few things, but it was still entertaining. It is funny because Rebecca and I watched the movie by ourselves maybe 8 or so years ago and neither one of us liked it. But now that we had read the books and we were thinking about how excited our kids were for it, I liked it a lot more.


No comments: