Sunday, January 24, 2016

Rexburg Idaho Trip

On Saturday we decided to make a family trip up to Rexburg so Rebecca and I could attend the temple in one trip rather than driving up two separate times. It is about 1 hour and 15 minutes away. Our usual temple would be Idaho Falls (45 minutes away), but it is closed for renovations until October of this year.

We got there a little before 10:30 hoping to make that session. However, they told us that the 10:30 session was all full, as well as the 11:15 and the 12:00 noon session. So I got I slip to be in line for the 12:45 session. We are not supposed to save spots, but I went and did sealings in the temple right then since there was only an hour wait for that. In the LDS church we believe that marriages that are performed in the temple through the authority of God can last after death in the next life. However, since most people do not have the opportunity to get married in the temple, we can represent them and do that work (sealings) for them in the temple after they have passed away. They still have the ability to choose if they want the temple work to count, but at least once it is done, they get to choose.

Rebecca took the kids for a walk around the temple and then to a few stores while I was there.



Right after I was done with sealings I ran down to meet Rebecca at the front and give her my ticket for the 12:45 session. It was probably 12:30 when I met her. When she went to get in they told her that all of the session were full for the day and so she wouldn't be able to do any work. That is the first time I have ever heard about that happening, but I guess it is a regular thing at this temple since the Idaho Falls one has been closed. Luckily she pulled out the card that I gave her. They were surprised she had it, but said she was good to go in then.

While Rebecca was in the temple the children and I hung out at BYU-Idaho. It seems like a pretty fun campus. We did a few games of bowling which were only $1.50 per game. Luckily we made it there before they opened because about 5 minutes after we got in all the lanes filled up. The teams were Wolfmen (Elliott and Ethan), Lightning Bolts (Julia and Christian), and Mom's Fans (me and Agnes). The Wolfmen got the top score with a 111. After bowling we walked around their student center, played a little ping pong, the kids asked all of the students in line at the testing center why they had to wait in line to take a test on a Saturday, and we had some races around campus. It was a fun Saturday outing for our family.








No comments: