Sunday, December 6, 2015

One More Day

Rebecca and the children are finally coming to Pocatello tomorrow. When I got back from Washington I walked through the house with the builders and they said that the interior will all be done by Monday and we can move in then as long as we don't mind them still working on the interior. There was a lot left to do and I was skeptical, but they kept on telling me that it would all be done. Last I talked to them was on Friday and they were still saying it would be done on Monday so we are moving forward with our plans for Rebecca and the children to come.

There is still a lot left to do though and I don't think there is anyway they will be able to get to it all tomorrow. Whether they finish or not, we are going to have to move in tomorrow night. Rebecca and the children are leaving early in the morning to start the drive so there is no going back on that mid-day tomorrow if they tell us it won't be ready after all. Before I went to Washington they told us December 1st. I told the people I am staying with December 4th just to be safe. They had already put up with 4 months of me in there home and I didn't want to ask for any more time there, so I moved into my office yesterday for the next couple of nights. Since I don't think all 8 of us (me, Rebecca, the kids, and Rebecca's mom) can fit in my office, we have no choice but to start living in our home.

On the inside they still have to finish laying the carpet (they only put the pads in so far), do the shower tile in the master bathroom, do the back-splash tile in all the bathrooms, put the stone on the fireplace, touch-up all the paint spots, put the door on the cold storage room, put the counter-top and sinks in for the downstairs bathroom, add a hanging rod in the laundry room, add towel rods and hooks in all the bathrooms, trim out the hard wood floor areas, add the tile by the back door, add the stair rails, and fix up the other minor mistakes here and there (they didn't put in a frosted window in our bathroom and one other window in the laundry room is missing its decorative lines in the glass, they mounted the bathroom vanity lights upside down, etc.). Sounds like about 1 day's work, right?

Here are some of the most recent pictures:

A closer picture of the stone. I am really impressed with the people who do the stone. It seems like a really complicated form of tetris. Each stone piece is a different size and color and they have to get it lined up all right so it looks varied, but fits together perfectly.



The entry way. You can see the front door still needs stained


The office.


A view of the stairs side of the great room


The fireplace side. They need to put the same stone from the outside around the fireplace below the mantel and paint the rest of the mantel white.

The kitchen and dining room. I think all that is needed here is too hook up the stove and maybe the dishwasher.

The laundry room is pretty much done. I think they were just going to add an extra hanging rod above the washer and dryer. We ended up going with a steam washer and dryer. I hadn't heard of these before, but apparently they can get your clothes a lot hotter which means it gets the dirt out more and there are less wrinkles. Which is good because I can't remember the last time I ironed something. My siblings probably think that is funny because when I was a teenager I used to iron everything.

Upstairs hallway to the bedrooms. They just have to give the baseboards one more coat of paint and then they can lower the vents.

The main bathroom. I think everything is done on it except for our broken mirror and they have to put in the back-splash over the sink (they put the wrong one in at first and had to tear it out. This may be our only functioning bathroom for a little bit until they get everything else done in the other two.

Closer of the main bathroom. The paint color matches the paint in Agnes' room below.

Just needs some carpet and then the chandilier can be lowered to hang at the right height.

Julia's room.


The sinks are all done in the master bathroom, but they still need to add grout to the tile, put in the back-splash, and do the tile in the shower and around the tub.

The plumber did put in the water heaters so we should have hot water for our one working bathroom at least. The builders convinced us to put in two water heaters so if you come to visit we can guarantee you some hot water at least.

3 comments:

Rachel Helps said...

I seriously doubt they will finish everything in time, but it looks like you have at least one bathroom and central heating, so hopefully that will be liveable :-). With our house it seems like it took a week or two longer than they thought it would.

Mary-Anne said...

I hope it gets done soon for you!! I can't believe it's taken them so much longer to finish than they originally said. That must be so frustrating! I think our house was only about a week longer than they first said. But it looks so nice!! I'm sure you'll all love it once you're all moved in and together again!

Doranda said...

The house looks great! I hope you got in ok.