Sunday, September 6, 2015

Hiking Scout Mountain

Yesterday I decided to hike Scout Mountain. Scout Mountain is probably the tallest peak of the mountains that are close to Pocatello. It was only about 6 miles away from where I am staying so it was really easy to get to. It is 8,710 feet tall, so there are definitely a lot of peaks that are taller in Idaho, but it was still a good climb. The hike was about 6 miles each was with an elevation gain of about 2,500 feet. It took me about 3.5 hours to do (2 going up, 1.5 going down), so I was able to make it back in time to still get some work done in the day.


It is the peak that sticks up right in the middle of the picture in the distance.

It was a really peaceful hike. There was a small lake/pond on the way and several little springs that popped up out of nowhere. I was worried that with it being Labor Day weekend, the trail might be pretty crowded, but on the way up I only saw four other people (two that were hiking together and two that were on dirt bikes). Coming down I passed by a few more just hiking through the wooded area, but less than a dozen total. I left about 8:30 in the morning while it was still cool out (45 degrees). It remained cool all the way to the top. At the top it was really windy though, but I was able to find a good spot to sit on the side of the ridge out of the wind to have an early lunch.


Frog pond - it was really tiny



A natural spring.






All views from the top

While on the hike I saw several squirrels and crickets, but also hawks, deer, and cows. I am not sure what the cows were doing on the mountain side in a National Forest, but they were definitely roaming around through the woods. When I first saw them I couldn't figure out what they were just because I wasn't expecting them. I could tell that they were too short to be moose, but way too fat to be dear or elk.


It is hard to see them, but there were probably about 10 or so roaming in the open area in the middle of the picture.

Even though it is not Alaska, I am really glad that we have moved to a place where we can still enjoy the outdoors. I am not sure if I will do another hike next Saturday, but I will probably try to get in at least a couple more while I am here by myself. I can't wait to do these hikes with Rebecca and the kids though, I think they are a lot funner when you get to share the sights with the people you love.

No comments: