Sunday, June 5, 2016

Hike the P

Like in Utah, a lot of the cities and schools in Idaho put giant letters on the mountainsides. Here in Pocatello there is a big P on the other side of town that we can see out our window. We also used to have an even bigger I on a hill near campus to represent ISU, but it was falling apart and so they took it down.  We are trying to do a hike a week as a family, so this week, on Thursday, we decide to hike to the P.

In preparation, I tried to find a trail guide online, but nothing was showing up. But I could clearly see a trail from our window, so then I just tried google maps and estimated that it might be 2 miles each way. We went right after lunch and it was hot. It felt pretty good being out in the sun, but none of us were used to that much heat. It was a pretty hike with good views of the city and the surrounding mountains, hills, and valleys. There were a few steep parts, but all very doable for the kids. Agnes even wanted to walk most of the way. At the top we dangled our feet over the P for a while, had some small snacks, and just enjoyed the view.





Overall it was a great hike. Unfortunately, when we got home we discovered a couple ticks. We have never had them over here by our house even though the kids play out in the brush all of the time, so maybe they are just over on that side of the town. Rebecca found one climbing in her hair and one climbing on Agnes's diaper. I found one climbing on my arm and then one in my clothes. We searched the kids carefully and did a special wash with their clothes, but today I found one more, and it was stuck in Elliott's head. I am guessing maybe it got on the towel and then today when he dried off it jumped back on him. I just didn't think to wash the towels. I was able to get it out no problem, but I still really hate those little bugs.

1 comment:

Doranda said...

Bob got a tic from when we were at your house. I thought it was weird because we weren't in the bushes or anything.