Sunday, June 12, 2016

Early Father's Day

Since Rebecca and I are going to be in Israel on Father's Day, we decided to celebrate it early. The festivities started yesterday morning. For breakfast Rebecca made apple fritter donuts, bacon, and eggs. Her apple fritters are really good. We have done the recipe a few times now and every time it has turned out as good or better than store bought apple fritters. It is a Cooks Country recipe, but it can also be found on the Our Best Bites website.

After breakfast we went out fishing. There is a stocked pond a couple miles from our house and the Idaho fish and game people were doing a free fishing day where they supplied all the equipment. Usually in Idaho kids do not need a fishing license, but we don't have any fishing gear, so we have never gone. There were lots of people there to show the kids how to do it and they had a fun time. We probably spent an hour there without catching anything. But then we heard that people were catching fish at the bottom without the bobber on. So we took ours off and almost immediately Ethan caught one. He reeled it in all on his own and then carried it up to the stand where they helped him get it all strung up. No one else caught anything, but they were still all happy to be there. It was Ethan's lucky day because he also was the first name drawn in the raffle and so he got to pick whatever prize he wanted. He picked out his own fishing pole and although I don't know much about poles, it looked like it was a pretty good quality one (not a kids pole). The other kids were again pretty happy for him even though they didn't win anything.

We came home for lunch and had the trout that Ethan caught. Then we just hung around the house for the rest of the day. For dinner I picked Chinese food. I really like trying to make some of my favorite recipes from Taiwan, but I never seem to do a good job with it. This time I made some beef noodle soup (the soup turned out pretty good, but the noodles didn't turn out at all) and three kinds of steamed buns (plain steamed, steamed then fried, and steamed with taro in the middle). They tasted pretty good too, but my water ran out on the last batch, so they got burnt. Rebecca added some asparagus. It was fun to have the Chinese dishes, but I decided it wasn't worth it. I spent hours in the kitchen making these things and it never seems to turn out like I hope. Hopefully I will remember this next year and just pick another one of my favorites like lasagna - there is nothing better than Rebecca's lasagna!

Here are a couple pictures of the food, but I forgot the camera for the fishing trip.



No comments: