Sunday, January 29, 2012

Winter In Anchorage

This winter has been a pretty rough one. On the coldest day so far our thermometer read -18 degrees F. That was at about 10am. I think it might have warmed up to about -17 degrees later in the day. We have probably had at least five other days or so where it has been around -15 and many many more days between the -5 and -10 marks. Rebecca and I were talking to each other the other day about how cold it feels outside. We have been in cold weather before--after all, we lived in Syracuse, NY for a year before moving here. In the past we have experienced cold to an uncomfortable point. The other day I had to drop our car off at the shop for a transmission fluid leak. After dropping it off I had to walk about half a mile to the bus stop. It was -14 out and all I could think was if I was stranded out in this weather for even just an hour I would probably freeze to death. All this cold weather means we have been spending a lot of time indoors. Rebecca and the kids pretty much only get outside running to and from the car in order to avoid the exposure. On most days I still ride my bike to work, but I have studded bike tires and I dress in plenty of layers.

We have been getting a lot of snow too. It has probably piled up to about three feet in our yard, but that is packed down. I am sure more than that has actually fallen. It is too bad that it has been too cold to play in it very much. Earlier on in the winter we did do a few sledding trips at neighborhood parks and the kids have loved that. I think Christian has been the biggest daredevil and has had the most fun on those trips. With all of the snow we have also gotten to enjoy some of the other fun winter activities, like shoveling the driveway, falling down many times, and driving on ice.

Our postman left this in our mailbox the other day.




I didn't think it was that bad!






It is fun to see everything so white though.

No comments: