Sunday, January 24, 2021

Climbing Rope

We put up a climbing rope in our garage yesterday. The rope itself was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be - only $20 for a 13ft x 1.5in rope on Amazon. Then just the hardware to screw it into the ceiling. I wanted to make sure the weight got distributed across a few rafters, but it just took me about an hour to figure that all out and put it up. 


Our children were all excited to give it a try. They all thought they would be able to do it no problem. I also thought that I would be able to do it "Princes Bride" style without a problem (climbing up with just my arms not using my legs at all - see below). I was definitely wrong. 



Asher, Agnes, and Elliott didn't make it very far on their first try. Christian and Ethan did a little better. But Julia made it all the way to the top. She was pretty proud to be able to show up her brothers on a physical/strength thing.


Then I tried to teach them the proper way to use their feet to clamp the rope. A few of them tried that and made it farther, but their arms were all already tired by that point.


I am interested to see how long it will take them to learn to get to the top. And maybe one day I will be like Fezzik and make it with just my arms and at least three of them on my back.


Here are some pictures and videos of their first tries.



















No comments: