Sunday, April 1, 2018

Easter and General Conference Weekend

What a weekend! It was so wonderful to be able to celebrate Easter and watch General Conference at the same time this past weekend.

We had all of our regular Easter traditions. Leading up to Eater we had a special devotional each night where we talked about the Savior and one attribute or characteristic of Him. We also set some goals each day to try to be more like Him, but our follow through on those could have been better. On Saturday we dyed some eggs and had our Easter Egg hunt. We hid all of the eggs in one room and then just let the children search one at a time starting with the youngest. We thought it would make each child have a successively harder hunt, but it actually just gave the older children more time to spy out all the eggs before they were released to go get them. On Sunday we tried to focus our thoughts on the Savior and His atonement. Being able to listen to several wonderful talks about the Savior by our church leaders really helped with that. We also had a delicious dinner of pork chops (we decided to switch it up from our typical ham), rolls, cheesy potatoes, and asparagus. And then for dessert Rebecca made a carrot cake.


Here is Asher getting some of his candy.



Here is another video of him showing off some of his walking skills.







We also got to do all of our regular General Conference traditions. We had cinnamon rolls for breakfast on both days. Rebecca should really open up a shop and sell her rolls they are so yummy. We also went on a hike between the Saturday sessions. The children did treats for one session, legos for two of them, and some worksheets for another. I tried something new this year. Usually I just sit and listen. I feel the Spirit a lot when I do that, but I often forget the messages that I learn. When we were in my brother's church ward last week someone mentioned in a talk that he tries to just write down one sentence/impression for each talk. So I tried that this year. I liked it a lot. For each talk I tried to just write down one prompting of something I could do better in my life. And now I have some quick notes that I can read over periodically in addition to being able to read and listen to the full talks again from lds.org. The impressions that I received were kind of personal, so I won't share them here, but a few themes that stood out to me were the importance of personal revelation, the prophet is called of God, and the church really is moving forward. It was so exciting to be a part of this General Conference - we got to sustain President Nelson, we got to learn of two new apostles (one of whom served his mission in Taipei, was in the Asia Area Presidency, and was a special assistant to the US Ambassador to China), we learned about a reorganization of the Melchizedek Priesthood quorums (btw, I got released by the prophet in General Conference since I formerly was part of the Elders Quorum presidency), we learned that we will no longer have home or visiting teaching, and we learned about several new temples in places like India and Russia. I remember the feeling that I had when we found out about the temple in Pocatello just last year and it made me so excited for the people in those areas of the world.

If you want to watch any of the talks they are all archived here:

https://www.lds.org/general-conference?lang=eng


I am so grateful for my testimony of the gospel. I know that the Savior lives and that through the atonement we all will be able to be resurrected too. I am also so grateful for the personal revelation that I receive to help guide me in my life and the revelation that is given to the prophet to lead and guide Christ's church.


No comments: